Monday, September 15, 2008

Recycled Pop Can Chairs!

This morning I had to drop off my vehicle for some recall work to be done, and rather than sitting in the boring waiting room trying to keep my baby boy occupied for an hour and a half, we walked across the street to the thrift store. Since I had so much time to kill, I looked through all the baggies of miscellaneous stuff they hang from pegs, and found these adorable little chairs made out of pop/soda cans:



I actually collect miniature chairs at garage sales and thrift stores, which decorate my living room at home. So, these were both a unique addition to my collection, and a fun post for today!



They both unfortunately are a bit rusty, so I'm guessing they were not made too recently, as pop cans are pretty much all aluminum these days. They have cute little crocheted padding on the seats as well.



We've all been to those craft fairs where someone is selling wind chimes, airplanes, etc made out of pop cans. (yeah, I know, I'm Minnesotan...I call them POP cans!) I have not yet been able to find anything like this online as far as patterns go to make my own. But, there are many aluminum can crafting projects online. Here are just a few...

A pretty Hanging Candle holder at Creative Kismet,
Cute ornaments on HGTV.com,
Some very nice jewelry including earrings and bracelets,
A few books on aluminum art and crafts,
And an entire blog dedicated to recycled can crafts!

1 comment:

Bree said...

Wow - how crazy - my grandparents had a little soda can rocking chair. I don't know what happened to it, but they were from MN too! Thanks for the memory! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's going on in the world of Junk Mail Gems, along with other cool, hand-made "green" products, DIY projects, and more!