Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Trouble with Tribbles...and left-over yarn



I used to have so much fun making these pom poms out of yarn when I was a kid. Maybe it was because I was an artistic kid who like to make stuff...or maybe it's just because they remind me of the only Star Trek episode that I really remember as a little girl..."the Trouble with Tribbles!"



Not only are they fun to make, but they are a great way to use up the yarn you have left-over from past projects.

Check out this great rug on the ReadyMade blog made entirely out of yarn pom poms! I just want to dive into it, it looks so cozy!



There are many, many cheesy projects online that use pom poms, but this is by far the coolest. I don't think I have enough extra yarn in my stash yet to make something this big, but maybe someday I will give it a try! I often see whole aisles of left-over yarn at thrift stores as well, which is a great way to get a bunch of colors for small projects.

5 comments:

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I went through an intense pom-pom phase when I was a kid. I made so many, I don't think I'll ever have the pom-pom bug again.

Lori said...

Thanks for posting this!! I hadn't seen the rug at ReadyMade. This could be a great way to use up all that acrylic that's taking up space in my apartment...

LOV said...

I love making pom-poms, too. Gift wrapping in leftover circulars with yarn "ribbon" and pom-poms looks so much cooler than the typical cartoon snowman paper that cost $4 a roll. That rug looks like a nightmare to vaccuum, though.

Unknown said...

These are all great comments but I'm most interested in the "how-to" of this cute rug?! I really want to make it!

I need directions for how to make a pm-pom and how to connect them to make this rug. Help!?

Thanks!

Gretchen Fleener said...

You can do a Google search or YouTube search for "how to make a yarn pom pom" and get lots of methods/instruction! I usually just wrap yarn around a piece of cardboard, then cut along both edges so the loops turn into a bunch of short pieces, then tie them together in the middle tightly. I'm guessing they tied or sewed each one together to make the rug...very labor intensive but quite the conversation piece!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's going on in the world of Junk Mail Gems, along with other cool, hand-made "green" products, DIY projects, and more!